Monday, April 1, 2013

*Spicy Korean-Style Meatballs*



This was my first time trying out meatball’s …  I know, I find it very weird considering how often I cook that I have NEVER made meatball’s.  I guess I am just not a huge Italian food fan & when I think of meatballs I always think of the typical spaghetti & meatballs with a big ole’ loaf of French bread.  This recipe, however, has a good twist on meatballs giving them a little kick and they’re considered to have a Korean flair to them.  And, not to mention SRIRACHA SAUCE IS MY FAV EVER!!!  You can find it at any of your local grocery stores or markets.  It is the big bottle with the red chili sauce inside, a green top, and a big honkin’ rooster on the front.  You can’t miss it, but I'll include a picture just in case ;)  

Meatballs
3 green onions                                                  
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 pound ground round beef or ground turkey
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons Sriracha Sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil, for pan-frying

Glaze
1/3 cup apricot preserves (reduced sugar or regular)
2 tablespoons Sriracha Sauce
1-1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white vinegar                             
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Garnish (optional)
Sliced green onion
Toasted sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 350°. In large bowl, combine all meatball ingredients (make sure to thinly slice green onion) except oil. The key to good meatballs is not to over mix them. Just gently combine the ingredients until everything is evenly distributed. Form the mixture into golf-ball sized meatballs.


Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.  Brown the meatballs on all sides. Transfer meatballs to rimmed baking pan and transfer to oven. Bake ~12 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°.


Meanwhile, in small saucepan, combine all glaze ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened (I doubled my sauce … we didn’t use quite all of it but I wanted to make sure we had enough left over for another meal the next day!)

To serve, brush meatballs with glaze and sprinkle with green onion and sesame seeds. 



I served mine over whole wheat noodles w/a side salad :)

No comments:

Post a Comment