Thursday, April 18, 2013

*Baked Chicken Chimichanga's*

When I was young I LOVED chimichanga's.  But, pretty sure I haven't eaten one in like 10 years!  The idea of a fried burrito just sounds too sinful.  I came across baked chimichanga recipes on pinterest, reviewed a few of the recipes, then came up with my own version of what I thought would all fit together bestOf course Jay O. said I should call them baked burrito's b/c chimichanga's have to be fried ... but, whatever!  I can call them what I want :-)

I am a big fan of the La Tortilla Factory tortilla's.  I get the small one's all the time for turkey wraps at home (only 50 cal's), but for this recipe I got the burrito sized tortilla's they have (only 100 cal's).  This recipe tasted like it wasn't low cal but each Chimichanga is only ~275 cals!  Not bad at all!  Enjoy!

~1 pound chicken breast (diced) my pkg of chicken was 1.2 lbs.     
1 package low sodium taco seasoning
1-¼ cup Water
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
2 teaspoons Oregano (dried or fresh)
2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Cilantro
2 Tablespoons diced fresh Serrano peppers
½ cups Diced Fresh Tomatoes
1 small can diced green chiles
½ cups Sour Cream
1 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
4 Tablespoons Melted Butter or no-calorie spray butter (that's what I used)
4 - 5 Burrito Sized Tortillas (I used La Tortilla Factory 100 calorie tortillas) 
GARNISH (optional): Tomatoes, Lettuce, Cheese, Guacamole, Salsa, Sour Cream

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Saute chicken until cooked through and starting to brown. Add taco seasoning and stir. Add water and stir. Over med – low heat cook until liquid has reduced 2/3.

Add cumin, oregano, cilantro, serrano, tomatoes, green chiles. Simmer until the rest of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes. Stir in sour cream and Cheddar cheese.

Lay tortillas on wax paper and brush both sides with the melted butter. Spoon filling into center of tortilla and fold like and envelope. (I filled the guys servings w/more filling - just do however much you would like)

Put tortillas, seam-side down on a non-stick sheet pan. Spaced so they don't touch. Bake 20 -25 minutes or until golden and crisp.  Top w/garnishes of your choice & serve!




I served mine with salad & a new creamy avocado dressing I tried out which I will make sure to post!  We were avocadoed out last night!



No comments:

Post a Comment