Monday, November 29, 2010

Steak Soup w/ all the right flavor

This is the first soup recipe I have ever attempted with beef, and goodness it was delicious!  Thinking about it, I am not sure why I have never made any sort of beef stew...but, I am mostly a white meat kinda' gal :)

I asked Jay O. what he would rate it from 1 to 10, & he said this was definitely his favorite soup he has ever had next to a hearty bowl of chili.  So, ladies, I recommend you make this for your significant other.  I guarantee they will be impressed, and you will love it too!

Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 pound London broil steak (I used filet mignon's we had on hand, but anything would work!)
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 4 cups beef broth (I added another small can of beef broth)
  • 1/4 cup jarred sliced pickled jalapenos (I used very few in the soup since Jay O. doesn't like jalapeno's & added a few to my bowl :))
  • 1 cup crushed canned tomatoes 
  • 1 (11-ounce bag) bag baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup sour cream 
  • 3 cups tortilla chips, crumbled

Directions

Preheat a grill to medium-high. In a small bowl, combine cumin, garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper. Rub the spice blend over all of the steak pieces along with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Let rest at room temperature, about 15 minutes.


Meanwhile, in a large pot, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and heat over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 4 minutes.

Stir in the mushrooms and garlic and saute until mushrooms are tender, adding extra oil if needed. 

Pour in the broth, jalapenos, and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer while beef cooks. 

If you choose to use a hot grill, sear the steak until golden brown on both sides (about 4-5 min per side), then let it sit out for 10 minutes to cool before slicing.  I chose to slice mine before hand & mix the marinade in so it soaked up more of the flavor, and then seared the steak on a hot skillet.  

Stir the strips of beef along with the spinach into the soup. Season soup, to taste (salt, pepper, & I chose to use about 1 Tbsp hot sauce for an extra kick). Transfer to serving bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream and crunched tortilla chips.

I got this recipe here & made just a few minor changes.

I hope you love it!  Let me know what you think :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment