Sunday, December 19, 2010

Holiday Salad w/vinaigrette dressing

Friday night a group of our friends had a progressive dinner party.  It was a great time and thank you to each of you for all you contributed, everything was delicious!!!  
Jay O. & I were co-hosts at Chris's house & I made this holiday salad.  It is definitely a recipe I will be making again!  I HIGHLY recommend it :)
I doubled this recipe for the dinner. 
Servings: Serves 10
Ingredients:
Dressing (can be made up to 2 days in advance, refrigerated in an airtight container & whisked before serving):
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Salad:
  • 1 cup cashews
  • 5 cups mixed baby greens or baby arugula
  • 1 head romaine lettuce , coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
  • 1 container cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, about 4 ounces (I used a garlic & herb feta cheese blend)
  • 1 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/3 cup red onion , chopped
Directions:
To make dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil until well blended.  I actually did my dressing in a blender so the shallots would blend in well, I was happy w/the way it turned out.  Either way works!

To make salad: In a large bowl, toss together baby greens, romaine, tomatoes, cashews and dressing. Add feta cheese and 1/2 cup bacon; toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with cranberries, red onion and remaining bacon before serving.
Now enjoy this flavorful salad without any guilt!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment