Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mediterranean Tuna Salad

My favorite thing to pick up for a quick lunch is Boulevard Bread's Mediterranean Tuna salad sandwich w/lettuce & tomato.  I made this recipe attempting to come close to theirs and came pretty close.  I think the main difference was I used light white tuna in water and not regular b/c mine wasn't quite as rich in flavor.  But, I still REALLY liked it!  Here's what I came up with:

Ingredients:
2 12 oz. cans tuna
1/2 red onion, diced
3 celery stocks, diced
4 Tbsp capers (or as many or few as you'd like)
1 6 oz. jar artichokes, sliced
4 Tbsp lemon juice
4 Tbsp Olive Oil (I used a lemon flavored olive oil we had at the house to add flavor)
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar (would be good w/balsamic, too)
coarse salt & ground pepper to taste
AND, at the end I added about 1 Tbsp of light mayo to bring it all together.  Light mayo is not necessary though!

Okay, I made this recipe for the SECOND time yesterday & liked it much, much more.  The difference was I used 1 can of Light Tuna in Vegetable Oil + 1 can Light Tuna in Water.  Then I used Kraft Light Mayo made with Olive Oil to my desired consistency (prob about 1/3 cup) & drizzled red wine vinegar over the top & stirred to combine + squeezed the lemon.  All of the other ingredients were the same, I just didn't use actual olive oil...instead I substituted the Olive Oil Light Mayo.  Whatever you have on hand will work :))
 

This recipe is great to make ahead of time to eat during the week for lunches!  I made mine w/whole wheat pita bread, lettuce, & tomato.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds super tasty! Gonna have to try this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is yum! I definitely thought it was best the day after I made it & I am still eating it for lunch :))

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete