Monday, October 11, 2010

Cozy up with Chili!!!

So...it seems like every time I make chili I change something up and have never followed a recipe.  However, I made chili for my parents and Jay O. this week and they said it really might be the best they have ever had, so I am going to make my best attempt to get the recipe exactly how I made it because it was definitely a keeper!

Ingredients:
1 yellow onion, diced
2 serrano peppers, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 pkg. hot turkey link italian sausage
1 pkg. 99% lean ground turkey meat (I used about 1/2 of this pkg.)
1 pkg. William's Original chili seasoning (the pkg that seasons 2 lb.'s meat)
1 16 oz. can sweet kernel corn
2 16 oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 can chili beans (or 2 if you prefer)
1 can Rotel "chili fixins"
2 Tbsp. hot sauce (I used Louisiana)
4 Tbsp. Ketchup
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 1/2 cans (16 0z can) water (add 2 cans if it seems necessary) 
Dash of salt and red pepper flakes

Directions:  
  • In a large pot drizzle olive oil on the bottom, and saute onion, serrano pepper & garlic until onion is slightly brown, adding a dash of salt.
  • Remove hot turkey sausage from their casings, and cook hot turkey sausage and lean turkey meat stirring the onion, serrano pepper, and garlic into the meat.  
  • Once the turkey meat is almost done cooking, add the William's Chili seasoning packet and thoroughly stir into the turkey meat.
  • Add remaining ingredients to the pot (corn, tomatoes, rotel, water, hot sauce, ketchup, tomato paste, chili beans, salt & red pepper flakes)  
  • Stir occasionally and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for at least 30 minutes up to however much time you have.  The longer it simmers, the more flavor it will have!!!

I loved this recipe because it had a kick of spice, but an occasional sweet touch from the corn.  I prefer the hot turkey and lean turkey to make it a healthier dish, but if you wanted to use beef, you could do that, too.  My parents and I prefer beans in our chili, but I made a separate pot with no beans for Jay O. and it turned out great as well.



I served this with cornbread, and sprinkled cheddar cheese onto each serving.


I am sure I will make another chili recipe at some point this season and share it with you :)    We will see what I come up with, but until then, cozy up with this delectable recipe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment