Thursday, June 17, 2010

Feel refreshed with my chilled seafood & corn salad!!! By far my fav new crisp summer salad recipe :)

 
I don't know about y'all but I am always looking for a new refreshing & healthy chilled salad during the hot summer months.  I made this one for Jay O. & me last week & we were BIG fans!!!

Instead of using 2 ears of corn I used 3 small cans of corn, make sure to drain each can (don't buy the cheapo brand though).  I also used imitation crab & fresh shrimp in place of the fresh lump crab.  I replaced the red bell pepper with an orange bell pepper beacuse JayO likes them better and I will sound like a dork & say I thought it made the salad a little bit prettier:)  I also added a little bit of extra lemon juice since I prepared enough to last a few days.  I sliced avacado & put on top to add extra flavor & to make it have a little bit of a treat!  I served our salads over mixed greens with whole wheat pita crisps.

I definitely recommend trying this one, very healthy & delicious!!!  Great for a hot sunny afternoon, ENJOY!!!




Shrimp, Crab, & Corn Salad w. Tomato-basil Dressing
Yield: 4 servings (mine yielded 6)

Ingredients

  • 1  tablespoon  grated lemon rind
  • 5  tablespoons  fresh lemon juice, divided
  • 1  tablespoon  extravirgin olive oil
  • 1  teaspoon  honey
  • 1/2  teaspoon  Dijon mustard
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/8  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 1  cup  fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears) (or canned corn, draining fluids)
  • 1/4  cup  thinly sliced basil leaves
  • 1/4  cup  chopped red bell pepper (or substitute for your color of preference)
  • 2  tablespoons  finely chopped red onion
  • 1  pound  lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed (use your seafood of choice)
  • 8  (1/4-inch-thick) slices ripe beefsteak tomato
  • 2  cups  cherry tomatoes, halved (I just cut up regular tomatoes and put on the side of each serving)
If you want to add a little extra treat, slice avacado & put on top of the salad for extra flavor!

Preparation

1. Combine rind, 3 tablespoons juice, and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons juice mixture. Add remaining 2 tablespoons juice, corn, and next 4 ingredients (through crab) to remaining juice mixture; toss gently to coat.
2. Arrange 2 tomato slices and 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes on each of 4 plates. Drizzle about 1 teaspoon reserved juice mixture over each serving. Top each serving with 1 cup corn and crab mixture.

Nutritional Information

Calories: 242 (21% from fat)
Fat::  5.6g (sat 0.6g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.7g)
Protein: 30g
Carbohydrate: 17.7g

No comments:

Post a Comment