Sunday, May 19, 2013

*Steamed Mussels with Turkey Sausage over Pasta*

I got this recipe idea from one of my all time fav blogs Reckless Abandon.  I recommend you check out Rachel's blog!  She is quite the talented cook.  And, her blog blows mine away with her wonderful pictures!  Maybe I could at least start not using my phone for my camera:-/  We will see, maybe her great pictures will motivate me to step it up a notch!

I had never cooked mussels before.  Turns out, it wasn't tricky like I imagined & I will definitely be cooking them again!  I recommend you try this recipe.  Very soon.

Ingredients:
2-3 lbs fresh mussels
3 shallots, minced (or 1 white onion)                                   
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup white wine
4 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 lb turkey sausage
1 baguette french bread
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 pkg buccatini, spaghetti or linguine pasta
1 handful fresh Italian parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
First, rinse and scrub your mussels in a colander

In a large pot heat the 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high. Saute the 3 chopped shallots and 6 minced garlic cloves with a little salt and pepper until the onions are clear and fragrant.

Now add the turkey sausage. If it came in casings, remove the sausage. Cook until no longer pink in the middle.

Once the sausage is cooked through, add the 1 cup white wine and 4 cups chicken broth. Also, add the few sprigs of thyme and 1 Tbsp tomato paste. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for at least 15-20 minutes. 
 
While the broth is simmering, boil the pasta in another pot according to the package directions.   
 
At this time, prepare your crunchy French bread for dipping :-)
 
When you are ready to add the mussels, bring the broth back up to a boil. Add the mussels and put the lid on. Set the timer for 5-10 minutes or until the mussels open up.
 
A good tip that Rachel had was not to eat any mussels that didn't open because this means they weren't fresh.  Glad she mentioned that, because I would not have known better!  Kind of like if a crawfish's tail is straight, that means to not eat it b/c they were dead before broiled ... gross, I know.  But you've got to love you so crawfish this time of year!
 
To serve, place pasta in the bottom of large bowls.  Use a slotted spoon to scoop out the mussels and a ladle to add some of the broth and sausage. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with your crunchy bread for dipping!  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment